Bhagavad-Gita is a Step-by Step tutorial for leading a contended and productive life. It is not the book to read after retirement or reaching old age for praying. It is a guide book for day to day life and solving your problems on daily basis. Bhagavad-Gita helps or guides you in taking decisions, whenever you are in doubt.
A brief on Bhagavad-Gita (How I Understand)
- Bhagavad-Gita is the summary of Vedas, Puranas, and Upanishads till the time of Mahabharata War. It is mainly a dialogue between Arjuna and Srikrishna in the middle of battle field regarding the necessity of fighting the injustice and follow one’s Dharma.
- When Arjuna was depressed and dejected after seeing his friends, relatives and elders in the opposite side of the war and he had to kill them to regain the kingdom, he felt that it is better to beg and live rather than kill his relatives etc.
- Srikrishna tells about Dharma, life and the need to do one’s Dharma and motivates him to fight for the war.
- The basic ingredients of the Bhagavad-Gita are
- The life is eternal and the body is replaced many times and the life cannot be killed, burnt, drowned etc. The life itself is God and is ever pervading in the universe.
- To attain Moksha, (avoidance of rebirth) is to follow the three paths suggested by him. They are
- Karma Yoga, Gyan Yoga, Bhakthi Yoga
I do not go into these various Yogas in details. It is sufficient to say that Karma means do you duty without expecting any fruits (as we normally understand); while Gyan and Bharkti Yogas indicate the Knowledge and surrender to God are the paths to reach God.
How I reached to Bhagavad-Gita
Till the age of 21, my only issue was to study and pass in the examinations. I did so without fail. This has resulted into an overconfident, arrogant and aggressive young man that I was in those days. In one of the final year M.Sc Class, during the discussions with friends, it was told that passing IAS is tough. I said any examination can be passed. So the bet was taken that I will pass IAS and show them.
I could not pass the IAS due to various reasons and resulted in my depression and changed my entire personality. Luckily I got a job, in a public Limited Company, and it has a very good library. As I am very fond of books and depressed, I read extensively. I started reading lot of psychological books, Mahatma Gandhi, Vivekananda, Ramakrishna Paramahansa writings etc and suddenly I found 4 volumes of Bhagavad-Gita by Chinmayanada, which changed my life from negative to positive frame of mind and there is no returning back from there. The first step was to resign from my existing job and go to my village for farming and then, I joined an NGO, and life went on positively.
How Bhagavad-Gita affected my life
There are lots of areas where every day one has to take decisions, which would affect you positively or negatively. I was able to take decisions positively in the following areas.
- If friends and relatives are in great trouble, how can you help or not help them.
- If the corruption is prevalent in one’s office how to insulate oneself from that.
- How to do your work without fear or favour and the best possible way.
- How to achieve excellence in one’s own field of work.
- How to keep smiling all the way, even in great difficulties and failures.
- How to share your experience with others.
I did not succeed 100 % in the above areas. But I can say, I am successful in about 65- 70% of the time and I am satisfied.
So start reading Bhagavad-Gita now and follow it step by step for Success in life. Don’t wait till you retire!