Lots of people retire at the age of 60. What is going to happen to them as life expectation is going to be 80 years. How will they spend their time and money?
During employment, there is specific work, the moment one goes to office either self decided or given by superiors and gets a specified amount for their work. The moment one retires; there is no work and no pay other than pension or savings.
The physical and mental attitude is one of the most important factors that take them into future of old age. Some people lean towards GOD and prayers, some sulk and degenerate and some are more active than before retirement.
It is difficult to say which way is correct. One of my brothers-in-law turned into religion, the other turned into a blogger who writes about his childhood events and writes about various ways of cooking. My brother turned into “no work & only enjoy” person. I turned into teaching after retirement. Some friends started NGOs by opening schools, natural living and financing for small land holdings for economic activity.
I believe that one should continue to do work which has a value to keep one’s mind active and useful to the society. The body does not retire until death. So how can we retire?
How retirement homes are needed.
The employment pattern has changed in India during the last 30 years and the combined family living has vanished in India like in West. This resulted in the need for old age homes for old and disabled persons. This need is going to increase many folds in the next few years.
There are three types of homes
- Completely dependent on Government grants and donations to take care of the poor people
- Middle income groups who can pay for their stay in reasonably good old age homes.
- The senior citizens resorts/ bungalows / and flats which can be bought by the individuals and can stay there like any other individual flats with adequate food and health care is taken care off.
All these avenues for old age people are required. But, actually what the senior citizens really want.
- Physical health and food to be taken care off
- Their mental needs are to be taken care off
- Community living which makes people spend time with likeminded people
The first and the third items are normally taken care of in the present old age homes. No concerted effort was made to take care of the need of mental satisfaction of these people.
- A retired teacher wants to teach the students/ children with minimum pay to keep his dignity and need of money and mental satisfaction.
- A retired bank officer wants to engage in some type of banking work to keep him going on.
- A retired Government officer wants to help in Government procedures with minimum payment (Not free).
- A retired officer who worked in some type of NGO wants to continue his work even after retirement.
- Some people turn to God. Some turn to agriculture, environment etc. So avenues have to be provided for these activities in the senior citizens homes.
Unless wholesome activities are provided for the old and retired people, the present old age homes would not be really beneficial. As more and more old age people join these communities, it is required to plan proper old age homes with all the above mentioned activities included in their homes/ resorts etc. This should not be free. There is lot of money in the construction and maintenance of old age homes, resorts and communities etc.